The Traveling Garden

Monday, March 21, 2011


Since my family is on the move this May, creating a garden like the one I did last year is out of the question. Instead, this year I will attempt to create a traveling garden. Not entirely sure how I'm going to pull this off. My container gardening skills are zilch (not that I'm proficient in gardening in the first place). All I know is to live the life of a nomad this summer, my traveling garden has to be extremely portable and adaptable.


What to plant, what to plant? During LBD's naptime a few days ago I did a little research on what types of vegetables and cutting flowers I could grow in containers and  I came across this Community Container Garden, a carefully chosen selection of plants of which people all over the world, in their unique locations, grow together or "grow along". Does that make sense? From first time gardeners to experienced pros hailing from California, Iowa, Sweden, France, Australia.... all over the place, growing the same plants from seeds, sharing the experience.  This year's plant selection includes the sunspot sunflower, better bush tomato, garlic chives, spacemaster cucumber, and purple petra basil.

They had me at sunflower.

Now that I have an idea of what I'm going to plant, I just have to figure out: A) How to start seeds indoors and B)What I'm going to put them in once they're grown. Transportable for our summer wandering tour...

Suggestions are welcome.


Image 1

5 comments:

  1. [...] since I decided to create a traveling garden, I’ve been eager to get started, but after I read here that I needed to plant my seeds [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these succulent planters! Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know-- When I saw that picture I couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a bub arrangement in an old, beat up, metal box with handles and it was the pretties thing! I'll have to scrounge around and make another one- I think I left that box when we moved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tessa- That sounds so pretty. Did you drill a hole in the bottom? I've been looking high and low for a few metal containers... for anything fun and portable once I get my seedlings to grow.

    ReplyDelete

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger