Reading Together: Toot & Puddle

Friday, March 4, 2011



I use to read Toot & Puddle by Holly Hobbie to my stortytime kids back in the day. This week, I decided to check it out at the library for LBD.  The book is about Toot, who is compelled to travel, and his friend Puddle, who prefers the comforts of home. Toot decides to leave their home in Woodcock Pocket to see the world, and the reader follows both Toot and Puddle through a year of their friendship, together and apart, at home and afar.

I can relate to Toot. To have that deep yearning inside, to pick up and leave for the unfamiliar. Sometimes it's a yell, sometimes a faint whisper. Always moving. I appreciate the Puddle homebodies, though. To feel content with where you are. If I ever stick to one spot longer than a few years, I will most likely become a Puddle too.

These are my favorite pages. Those golden illustrations! (And pigs with birthday candles on their heads!):



"Hi Puds, Am I in India, or is this a dream? It's your birthday- May 3! Hope your party is the best. Friends Forever, Toot."

"Back at Woodcock Pocket... 'For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a golly good fellow, that nobody can deny!'"

3 comments:

  1. Do you people have a facebook fan page? I searched for one on facebook or twitter but could not discover one, I’d really like to become a fan!
    Recipes for diabetics

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] A wordless adventure by the author of Toot and Puddle. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] sources: boy + bot, z is for moose, toot and puddle, you will be my friend This entry was posted in Reading Things and tagged books, storytime. [...]

    ReplyDelete

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger