Poem-A-Day

Thursday, March 31, 2011


Did you know April is Poetry Month?

I thought I'd share Knopf's annual Poem-A-Day offering.

Thought I'd also share a poem by my all time favorite poet, William Stafford. It's also the poem that inspired this here blog.

What's your favorite poem?
Allegiances
It is time for all the heroes to go home
if they have any, time for all of us common ones
to locate ourselves by the real things
we live by.

Far to the north, or indeed in any direction,
strange mountains and creatures have always lurked-
elves, goblins, trolls, and spiders:-we
encounter them in dread and wonder,

But once we have tasted far streams, touched the gold,
found some limit beyond the waterfall,
a season changes, and we come back, changed
but safe, quiet, grateful.

Suppose an insane wind holds all the hills
while strange beliefs whine at the traveler's ears,
we ordinary beings can cling to the earth and love
where we are, sturdy for common things.

-William Stafford

2 comments:

  1. I'm not that big into poetry, but the few poems/poets I like, I LOVE. I've copied and pasted my own favorite poem. I really like the poem that inspired this blog, and I love this blog!

    Under One Small Star

    My apologies to chance for calling it necessity.
    My apologies to necessity if I'm mistaken, after all.
    Please, don't be angry, happiness, that I take you as my due.
    May my dead be patient with the way my memories fade.
    My apologies to time for all the world I overlook each second.
    My apologies to past loves for thinking that the latest is the first.
    Forgive me, distant wars, for bringing flowers home.
    Forgive me, open wounds, for pricking my finger.
    I apologize for my record of minuets to those who cry from the depths.
    I apologize to those who wait in railway stations for being asleep today at five a.m.
    Pardon me, hounded hope, for laughing from time to time.
    Pardon me, deserts, that I don't rush to you bearing a spoonful of water.
    And you, falcon, unchanging year after year, always in the same cage,
    your gaze always fixed on the same point in space,
    forgive me, even if it turns out you were stuffed.
    My apologies to the felled tree for the table's four legs.
    My apologies to great questions for small answers.
    Truth, please don't pay me much attention.
    Dignity, please be magnanimous.
    Bear with me, O mystery of existence, as I pluck the occasional thread from your train.
    Soul, don't take offense that I've only got you now and then.
    My apologies to everything that I can't be everywhere at once.
    My apologies to everyone that I can't be each woman and each man.
    I know I won't be justified as long as I live,
    since I myself stand in my own way.
    Don't bear me ill will, speech, that I borrow weighty words,
    then labor heavily so that they may seem light.

    - Wislawa Szymborska

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this, Sarah. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger