So I Sew: Round 1

Monday, March 14, 2011

This week, I start my journey in sewing.

Why sewing?

Well, here: 1) My mom can sew and her mom could sew and her mom's mom could sew and so on and so on. Now, I want to sew. I want to be able to teach my daughter how to sew. Even if it's just a button. I don't even know how to sew a button. Yet. 2) I've recently become more and more interested in making clothing for my family. 3) It's an inexpensive way to keep my ever growing baby clothed. 4) I like projects. 5) I need something constructive to occupy my time with while the baby takes her nap. Eating salt and vinegar potato chips while scrolling through my rss feed isn't one of those things.

When I was eight months pregnant, I decided I'd take a stab at learning how to sew and a skilled family friend so graciously and patiently gave me an introduction. She also loaned me a sewing machine that she no longer used. I named her Jolene.  Jolene the sewing machine. Jolene is a Bernina 930 electric. She's a dinosaur of a lass. I worked on a couple projects, but after LBD arrived on the scene I've pretty much have forgotten everything she taught me. So, over the weekend, I started to brush up on some informational reading.


The picture below was my first sewing creation EVER. A burp cloth. For my baby. I made this in May before she was born. I was so proud of myself that I took a picture.


Anyway, after some reading I took a good chunk of time becoming reacquainted with Jolene.


This is Jolene.



This is the Book of Jolene's.




Jolene was more complicated than I remember.


I played around with a few scrap fabric pieces I bought at the thrift store last week, but the thread tension on the machine was off.


I broke the needle.


My mother-in-law had to come over and help me.


Round 2 tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. I love you. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristie Buckley-FillipsMarch 15, 2011 at 9:36 AM

    Good luck...I have a love/hate relationship with sewing. I get back into it and then find it's just too time consuming, so I'm left with half done projects. Like the hand sewn quilt I made for Nick when I was pregnant. The front is all done, completely hand stitched. I never put it together...he's 6 now. Maybe I can finish it before he goes off to college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping I can win Jolene over. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you think Jolene is a dinosaur you should see what I sew with. I think I'll tell Herb I need a new sewing machine. Then watch him go into orbit!
    Love your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha... I suppose one can dream! Thank you for reading, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] Jolene the Sewing Machine will be vacationing in a storage unit over the summer. I thought about it and it just wasn’t practical or realistic to continue on throughout all the moving. I bid her adieu over the weekend….my lessons in sewing to be continued this fall. [...]

    ReplyDelete

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger