Lesson in Growing

Wednesday, March 16, 2011


After we moved from New York City to Ludington last year, I had a hard time adapting to our new environment .  I was incredibly homesick for the familiar tall buildings, the city streets, for the energy, and for my friends. One afternoon, I was on the phone with a friend, in a melancholy mood lamenting over my city nostalgia and he told me something I'll never forget. He said, "Only you can create your own happiness."


Later that evening, while I was doing the dishes, thinking about nothing, thinking about everything, looking out the window,  I narrowed in on a patch of dry dirt in our yard. An eyesore a few yards in length from what I assumed was too much sun exposure and a lack of maintenance.  It needed tending to and I had the time. So, the next day in effort to keep busy and stop moping I started digging in the dirt, manifesting some optimism.


Slowly, seedlings appeared.



And grew.



And blossomed. They were my skyscrapers.


Entertained by my new-found hobby, I also tried growing a few other plants, most of which were gifts, and others I had randomly selected at the local nursery. I didn't know what I was doing, but I kept digging. Even at the end of my pregnancy in June, I was outside trying watering and pruning. Keeping busy, belly swollen, doing my best to not to topple over when weeding.

I grew....


Grape tomatoes...



a variety of flowers...


Pumpkins...


Well, I almost grew pumpkins. My pumpkin plant never produced the actual gourds. It dried out during July, regardless of how much it was watered.



But out of everything I planted, the sunflowers were my favorite.



The view was especially nice looking out the the window over the kitchen sink.


This year, we will be moving in the summertime but I want to keep up on my green hobby, so I'm in the process of figuring out how to create a portable garden. If I can't lay roots down here, I'll take 'em with. It will be a traveling garden.

4 comments:

  1. One of my favorites yet, honey.

    Try and take the lessons with you wherever you go. We have a lot of transition coming up, but it's all for growth and we will harvest good things from it.

    And we ever get those pumpkins to actually produce a gourd, I'll make you a homemade pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose if we can find happiness in a flower, how many other places do we need to look?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Roots" are part of our being not necessarily living in one spot for a random length of time. Your true roots are your family, your friends, those who you hold closest to your heart. That way wherever you go, whatever you are doing, they are right there with you.

    Keep digging honey, momma is proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmm, good article, reminded me of something I say from time to time, "Happiness is a choice.....might as well choose to be happy." I even include the period inside the quotation marks when I write it down. Must have been a good guy who told you that though, hopefully you didn't stay mad at him for too long.

    ReplyDelete

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger