Seed Start

Wednesday, March 23, 2011


Ever since I decided to create a traveling garden, I've been eager to get started, but after I read here that I needed to plant my seeds indoors 6 WEEKS IN ADVANCE, I freaked out. It hadn't even occurred to be to start early. I ran into the kitchen to count the aluminum cans, baby food jars, yogurt containers and egg cartons I had been saving for my seedlings. Then, I sifted through the recycling for containers for MORE containers that would also fit the bill.  I poured potting soil in what I had to work with and planted the seeds that afternoon.  Of course, it wasn't until after my minor panic attack that I did a quick search of the last frost date for my area and was relieved to find Ludington's isn't until May 6th. I'm starting my plant buddies right on time.

And so the growing begins...



Containers I hoarded for starting my seeds.



Fill 'er up! Potting soil will always remind me of crushed oreo cookies... but it isn't. It's dirt. Maybe after I'm done my reward can be oreo cookies.


Labeled seeds with happy faces.




Shortly after this picture was taken Zydeco knocked over one of my plant buddies.


Naughty kitten cat.



The day after all my seeds were planted in their mobile homes, I realized that seedlings need water irrigation. Baby food jars weren't going to cut the salami, so I gave in and bought a special tray which is also Zydeco proof.



I also punched holes in the bottoms of my other cartons I had previously filled and kept the baby jars as an experiment.



Little helper.


My husband is on seed babysitting duty this week while I'm in Texas. Looking forward to seeing their progress. Stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. A1.) What is salmomi, because I want some?!

    And,

    B2.) I cannot be held accountable for you plants while you are away. I will say I am watering them every one to two days as requested, and they sit in the bedroom windo recieving as much light as there location will allow. After that, they're on their own. I'm doing my best, but 'll just be happy if the cat survives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really shouldn't write blog posts when sleep deprived. How embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca,
    I'm Will's old friend, Jenelle. Maybe it's weird that I read your blog, but it's a good blog. Hope you don't mind.

    I thought May 6 was a little early for a last frost date for Ludington- my stepmom always said to wait until after memorial day. So I looked it up, and it's actually June 6 for Ludington, not May 6. I don't want your little seedlings to freeze! Good luck with your traveling garden.
    Jenelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you get the seedlings out of the baby jars safely? I used toilet paper rolls cut in half (saw in Grow Great Grub), just started getting little sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenelle- Nice to meet you and thank you so much for reading. You're absolutely right! I must have glanced too fast at the freeze date.... Oh geez. Thank goodness you said something. Looks like the seed buddies are going to live inside for a little while longer. Unless we move south that is. Hopefully, we'll know those details very soon.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made sure they were moist and used a spoon. Toilet paper rolls are a great idea! I'll have to check that out.

    As an experiment, I left a few in the babyfood jars and I already have sprouts... my chives are doing especially well. Hopefully both ways work fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger