Farewell, Little Red House

Wednesday, May 18, 2011



Farewell, little red house.



We shared a lot over the year.



New beginnings. Joy, anticipation, tears and laughter.


Lots of laughter.


I brought my baby home to you.


This was our living room.




It was where my baby learned how to sit up. How to walk. How to crawl. How to smile.


And does she smile.



Always smiling.



It's where we would read away the afternoon.



It's where we played. And played. And played. And played.



Birthdays. Holidays. Family. Friends. They came and went.



Our first family Christmas tree was so big, it barely fit under your ceiling. It illuminated the entire room. We never turned a lamp on during the month of December.


This was LBD's first room. The baby room.



We painted it "Malibu Peach". I've never liked the color pink, but I do now. Guess it's inevitable when you have a girl. Peach for a peach.


When we first brought her home, I use to come downstairs one, two, three times a night to check her. Carefully, down the creaky stairs. Carefully open the creaky door. To rest my palm on her back. It would softly rise and fall. She was so tiny. So real.



A lot of sleeping took place in this room.



And not a lot of sleeping took place.


This was Will and I's bedroom.



It was my favorite room in the house.



We didn't have much money to decorate, but it's amazing what a coat of paint can do.




This bedroom is where I learned to sew. Where I grew my first seedlings.


Where I would take ritual afternoon naps when I was pregnant. Dreaming and waiting.


Waiting and dreaming.



This was on New Years Eve. LBD didn't want to go to bed. We listened to the fireworks at midnight. A slumber party of three.


Our bedroom was where LBD had her accident. I cried. Oh, I cried. I'll never forget that day.


It's where Will and I stayed up late, discussing our future.


It's where the evening light would fade into the night.



This was our kitchen.



Blueberry pie, Pad Thai, Black Forrest, Cake, Sicilian Toast, baby food, Spinach Ravioli,


Homemade Guacamole...




One day, I was washing dishes here and decided to grow my first garden.



My garden was my peace.


This was our backyard.



Where my sunflowers lived.





Among other flowers.



Where we had countless barbecues.


Where Will threw me a surprise birthday party.




Well, it was almost a surprise. I found out the night before.



Bluegrass was playing on the radio. The summer night was warm. The food was good.


The company, the best.



I use to watch the snow fall here while the baby napped. It snowed and snowed....


A winter in Michigan.




This house was where I became a mother. Where Will and I spent our first year of marriage. It's where I came into my own. Where plans were made, and lessons learned.


It's where one September evening , I had a passing thought to write a blog. About family and growing, And common things.



7 comments:

  1. It reads like a poem, darling. It's beautiful, like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your best entry yet, Becca. It made me cry. Beautiful and moving...thanks for sharing.

    I wish the three of you the best on your adventure in Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Becca, so moving! Wishing you all the best in Kansas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautifully written... brought tears to my eyes. You will always remember this house, not because of how adorable it is, but because of all the wonderful things that happened there and because is was your and Will's first house. There is only ever one first house..always be thankful for all the joy that was shared there....
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am delighted to see these photos and read Rebecca's heart words. The little red house is also a place for my heart.
    When my life was in chaos, I read this in Exodus 23:20 "I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you on the way and bring you to the place I have prepared." Rebecca and Will, the Lord has prepared a place for you. And the little red house was blessed by your presence. Thanks for taking care of it for me.

    To Mark Twain, his home was far more than shelter. In 1896 he wrote:

    To us, our house was not insentient matter -- it had a heart, and a soul, and eyes to see us with; and approvals, and solicitudes, and deep sympathies; it was of us, and we were in the peace of its benediction. We never came home from an absence that its face did not light up and speak out its eloquent welcome -- and we could not enter it unmoved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for reading and for the kind words. It's been (and continues to be) a whirlwind. It's all so exciting and bittersweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] moved from our home in Michigan to my in-laws to a friend’s house in Kansas City, and ended the summer with our final move to [...]

    ReplyDelete

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger