Pumpkin Storytime

Monday, October 24, 2011


Yesterday's pumpkin-themed storytime turned out a good crowd! My mom was in town this weekend, so she was able to attend too. The picture above is one of the many documenting a trip to Schaake's Pumpkin Patch that also occurred over the weekend during her visit. These mini pumpkins were my craft inspiration, which ended up being the main attraction.


Pumpkin Storytime Line-Up:


Five Little Pumpkins Song

One little pumpkin smiling, smiling.
One little pumpkin smiling, smiling.
One little pumpkin smiling, smiling.
One little pumpkin is happy.

Two little pumpkins pouting, pouting.
Two little pumpkins pouting, pouting.
Two little pumpkins pouting, pouting.
Two little pumpkins are grumpy.

Three little pumpkins yawning, yawning.
Three little pumpkins yawning, yawning.
Three little pumpkins yawning, yawning.
Three little pumpkins are sleepy.

Four little pumpkins crying, crying.
Four little pumpkins crying, crying.
Four little pumpkins crying, crying.
Four little pumpkins are sad.

Five little pumpkins laughing, laughing.
Five little pumpkins laughing, laughing.
Five little pumpkins laughing, laughing.
Five little pumpkins are playing.

(Song adapted from Super Simple Songs)


Pumpkin Cat by Anne Mortimer (New book!)


Pumpkin Trouble by Jan Thomas (Another new book!)

"Jack-o-Lantern" Poem from Hand Rhymes by Marc Brown

I am a pumpkin, big and round. (Make a circle with arms over your head)
Once upon a time, I grew on the ground. (Point to the ground)
Now I have a mouth, two eyes, and a nose. (Point to mouth, eyes, and nose)
What are they for, do you suppose? (Curiously scratch head)
With a candle inside, shining bright. (Hold pointer finger out like a candle)
I’ll be a jack-o’-lantern on Halloween night. (Wave hands excitedly.. "jazz hands"!)


Pumpkin Heads! by Wendell Minor



Mystery Vine: A Pumpkin Surprise by Cathryn Falwell (While reading I used a "mystery vine" prop which "grew" as I read the story. A few co-workers created the vine prop a couple years ago using this guide.

The Craft:


Originally, I was going to do this great paper pumpkin mask craft suggested by a co-worker. It was all prepped and ready to go, but on Friday we went to the pumpkin patch (more on that later) and found a great assortment of mini pumpkins, so I went ahead and splurged on them for storytime.


Using this sequin pumpkin idea from The Swell Life, the kids had a blast gluing sequins on their mini pumpkins. And for the younger kiddoes, I bought sparkly Halloween stickers for easier (and less messy) decorating.



I made this one today with the few left over stickers, so you could see an example. I wish I had pictures of the kid's decorated pumpkins. They did such a phenomenal job.




Image Sources: Pumpkin Cat, Pumpkin Trouble, Pumpkin Heads, Mystery Vine

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, this makes me want to get crafty! I know they're easier and for the younger kids, but I actually like the sticker pumpkins better :)

    Have you tried any pumpkin recipes this season?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The glitter stickers were on clearance at Micheal's if you decide to decorate a few pumpkins of your own ;) Going along with the mini-pumpkin theme, Will made mini-pumpkin pies. My recipe book is missing and in that book is my pumpkin bread recipe.... argh! Hopefully, it will turn up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] read Jan Thomas for storytime before and the kids loved her book, so why not do more? It’s a LBD favorite to [...]

    ReplyDelete

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger