Recent Kids (and Teen) Reads

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

At the beginning of the year, I took a short break from reading children's chapter books with these two adult books and the first book on this post is a young adult book. A brief adults only, leave the kids with grandma, sort of vacation.  While I enjoyed the trip, I'm also glad to be back with kids books. And I've read some great ones at that.



Where Things Come Back


by John Corey Whaley


Such a good book. A series of events all intricately interconnected starting with the disappearance of 17-year old Cullen Witter's 15-year old brother. Existentialism. Heartbreak. Life. Death. Family. While I don't think that kids younger than 14 should read it, I do feel it's a teen book adults would enjoy. I happened to read it on one rainy afternoon. And I'm not a fast reader.


Where Things Come Back won both the William C. Morris Award and the Printz Award this year. John Corey Whaley was also the first young adult author be recognized by in The National Book Foundation's 5 Under 35, 2011.



Wonder


by R.J. Palacio


You know that feeling you have when you feel so much all at once that you don't even want to move. That if you move all those thoughts and emotions might evaporate. That's how I felt after reading this book. I still have a hard time putting into words the importance of kids, especially middle school kids, and adults alike reading this book. It's a story of Auggie, a 5th grader with severe facial deformities and the people in his life. It's a book about valuing kindness above everything. Always choose kindness.


It's so, so good.


This is R.J Palacio's first book. Hopefully, not the last.




The Apothecary


by Maile Meloy


I had been listening to this book in the car for some time. We don't drive often or far, so it took awhile to get through. There a few things I really liked about this book: 1) Janie, the main character, reminded me so much of myself at that age. I also liked that she liked Katherine Hepburn who I also like a lot.  2) I thought the premise of the the story was extremely creative.  3) If i had been reading this book instead of listening to it, I would have underlined many of the passages. Maile Meloy is such a clever writer.




Oddfellow's Orphanage


by Emily Winfield Martin


I adore Emily Winfield Martin's work on The Black Apple, so I was looking forward to reading her work as an author. Horned rabbits, a girl covered in blue tattoos, an albino, an onion-head boy, a bear drawn carriage, classes in cryptozoology, what more could you ask for in a book about an orphanage of misfits? The recommend age of reading by the publisher is 7 and up, but I think it would be a really great book to read aloud to kids 5 and older.




May B.


by Caroline Starr Rose


I was drawn to this book partially because Christopher Silas Neal designed the cover and partially because it takes place in Kansas during the 19th century. Not knowing much other than that I was so pleased to find such a delightful read. Written entirely in verse, May B. is a sensitive book about one girl's perseverance in a series of unfortunate events.


And that's my return back to kids' literature. You can find more recommended reads HERE.







image sources: where thing come back, wonder, the apothocary, oddfellow's orphanage, may b

2 comments:

  1. [...] such voice and soul, I couldn’t put it down. And after a full night of reading, as I did with Wonder and Okay for Now, I was not tired after retiring my book to the nightstand.  Quite to the [...]

    ReplyDelete

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger