Reading Together: Board Books

Wednesday, February 22, 2012


There have been a few... how should I say... incidences recently between L and her books.



The last was of major destruction.


With a library book. That we now own.



To fend off future sabotage, if she wants to look at books it has to be under heavy surveillance.


Or...


It has to be a board book.


Board books aren't just for wee little babies-- They're great for toddlers too! We've been checking out a great deal of board books lately so she can have her independent "reading" time and I don't have to worry about those out-of-the-blue-surges-of-page-tearing-destrution. Here are a few durable favorites:



I Like It When... by Mary Murphy


It's easy to mimic what's going on in the book, so we make I Like It When... an interactive storytime i.e. we hold hands when the penguins hold hand or we hug when then penguins hug.



A Magical Day With Matisse by Julie Merberg and Suzanne Bober


From the same series, I used In the Garden With Van Gough for storytime a few weeks back.



Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boynton


Been reading this one since before she could roll over by herself. We like Sandra Boynton so much I listed two of our top picks from her.



Oh My, Oh My Dinosaurs! by Sandra Boynton



Mary Wore Her Red Dress and Henry Wore His Green Sneakers adapted and illustrated by Merle Peek


An old Texas children's song. A new favorite in our house.



Charley Harper's ABC's by Charley Harper


I adore anything created by Charley Harper. How cleaver to match his illustrations to ABC and 123 board books. We like the Z is for Zebra page.



Go Dog Go by P.D. Eastman


P.D. Eastman is great fit for children being read to and, as they grow, children learning how to read.



My Car by Byron Barton


A fun, little book with bright colors about cars.



You and Me by Giovanni Manna


This was the first book I purchased for L before she was born. Whenever we read it I always remember the anticipation of wanting to share everything with a person I hadn't even met.



Where Does Maisy Live? by Lucy Cousins


No list is complete without a Maisy book lately. The first thing she said when she woke up this morning was, "Maisy?" Girl loves her Maisy Mouse.



Little Miss Austin: Pride & Prejudice: A Counting Primer by Jennifer Adams, illustrations by Alison Oliver


Why, yes! Jane Austin, Shakespeare, and Charlotte Bronte are for children too!



Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Don and Audrey Wood, illustrated by Don Wood


I loved this book when I was little. We read this one quite a bit.



Potty by Leslie Patricelli


We've been slowly introducing the potty to L. So far, so good (knock on wood). Leslie Patricelli makes great board books for babies and toddlers.




Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert


I know, I know... I'm always throwing in a Lois Ehlert book. But she is soooo good! I believe this book was given by one of L's grandmas.



My First ABC's by The Metropolitan Museum of Art


One of the first board books I checked out from the library. After it's returned, L always finds it and wants to check it out again. Art from The Met's collection is paired with letters in a simple book about the alphabet.



In My Nest by Sara Gillingham and Lorena Siminovich


In My Nest is one book in a series of finger puppet books by duo Sara Gillinham and Lorena Siminovich. All  so very enjoyable to read.






***'Reading Together is a sampling of picture books I'm currently reading aloud to LBD (also known as L or Little L), my toddler daughter. As a children's librarian, I'm always bringing home stacks and stacks of books to share together. Old and new. These are our favorites. Some of which have been read over and over and over again…. Times thirty. To the tenth power.***






image sources: i like it when, magical day with  matisse, going to bed book, oh my oh my dinosaurs, mary wore her red dress, charley harper, go dog go, my car, you and me, where does maisy live?, little miss austin, little mouse, potty, planting a rainbow, my first abc's, in my nest,


1 comments:

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger