In An Era: The Thirties

Friday, February 3, 2012


The past couple of weeks, I've been on a retreat from reading kid's chapter books. I've also been on a retreat from 2012.  I've been reading, watching, and listening to the 1930's.

Reading....



Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

A great book. It's entertaining, rich, perfect, lovely, and well.... great.  I got to where I was reading the last 1/3 of the book and started procrastinating from finishing it because I didn't want it to end. After I finished, I made myself a Manhattan as a toast to it's talent.


The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt by Caroline Preston

I didn't love Frankie Pratt's story in the way I loved Kate Kontent (Rules of Civility), but she was good fun for the short time it took to read. Chock full of 1920's and 1930's vintage eye candy in collage format this book visually takes you back.  Also, it won this year's Alex Award, given to adult titles that have special appeal to teens.

Watching...



It Happened One Night (1934)

This one I own and for good reason. When I'm too tired to read, but not tired enough to force myself to bed I take a trip into Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert's love affair.


Midnight in Paris (2011)

Rented "Midnight in Paris" recently from Liberty Hall. We usually get all our movies from the library, but we splurge occasionally on the local movie store. This movie goes back in time to the roaring 20's, not the 30's, but what does it matter. It has the Fitzgerald's, Hemingway, Gertrude Stein, and T.S. Elliot who all lived through the 30's and that counts, right?

Listening...



"Devil Got My Woman" by Skip James


"Summertime" by Billie Holiday

.... a little blues, a little jazz.
A little break in time.

Have a great weekend!

image source: Tallulah Bankhead via Pintrest, rules of civility, frankie pratt, midnight in paris, it happened one night, midnight in paris,

4 comments:

  1. You should check out "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain. I actually listened to it (as I do about 2/3 of the books I read these days) and it was great! I heard it shortly after seeing Midnight in Paris, so I was already in the mood for that era!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just put a library hold on it this morning, so hopefully I can go back in time again soon. Thanks for the recommendation, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad and I had the Father/Daughter dance to Billie Holliday's, Summertime at my wedding. :) One of my dad's all time favorites. Always says he wants it played at his funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] the beginning of the year, I took a short break from reading children’s chapter books with these two adult books and the first book on this post is a young adult book. A brief adults only, leave the kids with [...]

    ReplyDelete

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger