Fuzzy Friends Storytime

Monday, January 30, 2012


I hemmed and hawwed over what to do for storytime this week, but I was reading Hopper and Wilson by Maria Van Lieshout the other night which prompted me to create a storytime theme around stuffed animals and it only seemed natural to make stuffed animals as our after-storytime craft. I think everyone really enjoyed this one!

Fuzzy Friends Storytime Line-up:



Where's My Teddy by Jez Alborough


Had a large storytime book format for this story, which is so much fun because it makes the "gigantic bear" seem so much bigger!



I Must Have Bobo! by Eileen Rosenthal, illustrated by Marc Rosenthal


Willy the boy and Earl the cat duke it out over stuffed animal Bobo's affections. This book makes me want to get another cat, because I too want a cat named Earl. Needless to say, my husband was really excited to revisit this topic.



Corduroy by Don Freeman


The classic, Corduroy. I read this one when I was little and it remains to be entertaining to kids of all ages.




The Stuffed Animals Get Ready for Bed by Alison Inches, illustrated by Bryan Langdo


A rhyming tale of one little girl's evening getting her stuffed animals ready for bed.



Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale by Mo Willems


Have you ever met a kid that didn't like Mo Willems? He brings in the laughs every time. Another reason I like reading Knuffle Bunny is because the pictures were taken in Park Slope (a neighborhood in Brooklyn), the area I lived in throughout my time in New York City.




Sock Creatures Craft:



Socktopus!!! This craft is extremely easy to do. If your house is like ours- where socks disappear every time we do a load of wash- this is a good way to give a lonely sock mate a new life.


Materials needed: Sock, poly-fil which can be found at a craft store in the quilting/fabric area, rubberbands or hairbands, scissors, and decorations (I used felt, fabric scraps, yarn, and ribbon).



Take one or two large handfuls of poly-fil and stuff them into the toe of the sock.



Make sure it's all rounded out and pushed to the top sock toe.



Wrap a rubber band or a hairband around the base of what will be the octopus head. Make sure it is tight enough so none of the poly-fil will come out.



Using scissors, cut thin strips from the sock opening all the way up to the rubber band.



There might be a leg or two that are bigger than the others because of the sock heel, so I just trimmed that part off.



Glue whatever decorations you have on hand to make a face. Fabric glue or school glue both worked with the kids yesterday.




A completed socktopus. Cute, right?



I also showed them how to make bunny rabbits out of socks. It only takes a few more handfuls of poly-fil and one more rubber band. I trimmed the sock to the heal beforehand so the ears would be short. A few kids used this idea and made people instead. Wish I would have taken pictures. They were hilarious.



This craft is also cat approved.




image sources: where's my teddy, must have bobo, corduroy, stuffed animals get ready for bed, knuffle bunny

6 comments:

  1. Knuffle Bunny and Knuffle Bunny Too are favorites in our house too...though there is still debate on whether it's pronounced Kuh-nuffle or Nuffle. LOL Love the craft...I will have to whip this one out next time we have a snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the Socktopus! So very awesome and my afterschool Book Circle kids will love making them. Now, to gather socks.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pronounce "Knuffle" as "Nuffle"... not that it matters. Have you checked out Knuffle Bunny Free, Kristie? Or the Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willams? I think your kiddos would really like them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Ann!

    If it ends up that you have to buy socks so you have enough for you afterschool group, I purchased most of mine on clearance. Walmart, Target, or the dollar store discount colorful sock pairs from last season down to 50 cents per pair. Or you can buy a pack of men's white socks for cheap.... Would love to know how it goes if you go ahead and make them. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have 3 or 4 of the Piggie books...I just love Mo Willams!! I haven't seen Knuffle Bunny Free...but I will be looking for it now!

    P.S. I pronounce it Kuh-nuffle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and we really like Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus too.

    ReplyDelete

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger