Summer Reading

Tuesday, August 30, 2011


It's an ordinary day when I show up at home with a tumbling pile of books after work. My choices inspired by favorite books of children I see day in and day out at the library, books suggested by my fellow coworkers (the know-all when it comes to great children's books), or books I happen to find on my own accord.


Our library, like many other libraries across the nation, participated in a summer reading program, an initiative that not only encourages children to read, but also helps keep their language skills sharp during the summer months. Just the other day I heard on the radio that kids lose almost half a year of learned school work over the summer and one of the best ways to inhibit this from happening is by reading. And while it is important for school-aged children to continue their reading, it's just as important for younger children to be introduced to books. In the final days of summer it's been inspiring (as a librarian and a parent) to see thousands and thousands of children and parents embrace this program.


So, in honor of summer's last hurrah, I've chosen a few books, favorites of LBD's and a couple favorites of my own, to highlight what we've been reading this summer:



After "mama" and "dada" came the word "dog". Mostly because we read RRRALPH over a hundred times in the course of a week in a half. She enjoyed this book that much.



I would have to say this is LBD's all time favorite book. Hands down. We've had to renew it twice already. She also enjoys the sister story by Emma Dodd,  I Don't Want a Posh Dog.



Dinosaur! Roarrrrrrr!!!



ABC's for night night time.



Bee and Bird. About a bird and a bee.



Okay, so this was my pick. I would go as far to say it was my favorite book we read together all summer. Can't go wrong with the Jane Goodall. If you have a chance to check it out, take a glance at the photograph on the last page. Pure beauty.



Fun little adventure.




Brought to you by the same author and illustrator as An Egg Is Quiet. This is their latest.





Another pick from me. Big fan of Peter Brown.



One of LBD's top picks that has also been renewed at least once.



Home is where the heart is.



Last but not least, another favorite of LBD's. Wonder why.....




Image Sources: RRRALPH, I Don't Want a Cool Cat, Dinosaur vs. Bedtime, Sleepy Little Alphabet, Bee and Bird, Me... Jane, Red Wagon, A Butterfly is Patient, The Curious Garden, Not A Box, Castles, Caves, and Honeycombs, Frankie Works the Night Shift



6 comments:

  1. [...] and I did quite a bit of summer reading together, but I also manged to read about 12 books myself, most of which were youth and teen [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] Roaarrrr! Dinosaur wins again! [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] I Don’t Want a Cool Cat! by Emma Dodd [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] Emma Dodd is no stranger in our Reading Together lists. We’ve been loving her book all about BUGS! [...]

    ReplyDelete

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger