Baby Hangover

Friday, April 8, 2011

LBD didn't sleep the entire week we were in Texas.
She didn't sleep the week after we returned either. It was the worst she has ever slept in her entire nine months of existence.

Then I got sick. And then the baby got sick. And then the husband. We were a cooped up bunch of overtired sickes.

She's back to sleeping full nights now. (REJOICE!)

In light of the situation, I thought I'd put together a guide for myself of "How to Stay Alive After An All-Nighter: Baby Edition". After a week of no sleep with a sick and teething babe child, life gets pretty interesting. And it's nothing like those one-too-many late nights during the pre-baby days. Recovery was cake compared to this.

Remedy for a Baby Hangover

1. Sleep whenever you have the chance during the day. DON'T do the laundry. DON'T answer the phone. DON'T catch up on missed Castle episodes. DON'T do whatever it is you think you have to do. (I'm still learning how to do this step.)

2. One cup of coffee max or none at all. I usually make myself a weak cup of coffee in the morning, but when I was sick I didn't have any and I felt so much better for it. The experts were right about this one. Imagine that? Weird.

3. Jellybeans. Jeallybeans makes everything better.

4. Fix your face. Take a shower. No matter how tired or grumpy or worn out I am, I take a shower. I even (gasp) blow-dry my hair and maybe even a apply a little mascara. I swear it's like hitting the "refresh" button, even if it's a temporary facade of being well-rested.

5. Laugh. One of the best parts of being overtired are the bizarre giggling fits when everything is funny because you can't even construct complete sentences. Because you put your cell phone in the freezer. Or when showering you shampoo your hair three times because you didn't remember the first two.

6. Remember it will all be over soon. Baby will go back to sleeping eventually and you in turn will sleep again.

Promise.

2 comments:

  1. I prefer gummi bears but I think it's the same principle.

    Hope you're all on the mend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling so better. The little champ is gving us about 8 hours of solid sleep in one stretch. She may need about 15 minutes help to get her to go back down for another 3 hours, but she gets there. Love being back to 10 hours ouf sleep out of 11 at night.

    ReplyDelete

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger