Throwback Thursday: The Snow Spider

Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Snow Spider by Jenny Nimmo


Published: Dutton Books, 1986,  Orchard Books (Imprint of Scholastic), 2006


Recommended Age: 9 & up


In a Nutshell: On Gwyn's 5th birthday, his older sister, Bethan, tragically disappeared. Four years later, still ridden with guilt over her disappearance, his slightly cooky grandmother gives him five unusual presents. Presents she believes will not only invoke Gywn's inner magician, but lead him to Bethan.


Throwback: I had a dream a few weeks ago of a crystal spider. I was certain it was a book I read when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, so I searched the library. Lo and behold there it was! I'm glad we still have the old cover, because I've seen the newer cover dozens of times from previously working in a bookstore some years ago and it never registered. The story was creepy and bizarre then and it was creepy and bizarre to re-read - and I love it. Obviously, it has an affect on me since I'm dreaming about it 20 years later.


Perfect For: Yesterday, I wrote a post about kids looking for their next magical adventure. This book would fit in perfectly with that crowd.


Reprint Cover: The picture above is the original cover. Below is the modern take on this neo-classic fantasy.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Sturdy For Common Things All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger